Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Texas to Georgia to Texas Again

Alicia (Mark's sister), Tim (Alicia's husband), and their two boys (Mark G. and Luke) love to come to Texas to visit their parents, grandparents, and siblings, aunts, and uncles. Typically they fly to Texas for a few weeks at a time, but Tim had to work so Alicia asked me if I would be willing to drive with her from Georgia to Texas. I will admit, at first I thought Alicia was a little bit crazy to venture out on the open road with two little boys stuck in a car for 19 hours over the course of 2 days all while 7 months pregnant herself, but, we managed to do it. Best of all, I had a GREAT time!

I flew to Georgia Thursday evening. Tim and Alicia picked me up from the airport and took me to a minor league baseball game with some of their friends. It was VERY hot but we managed to stay cool by eating a huge ice cream cone. Pregnant ladies sure do know what hits the spot! We got up early Friday morning, got the boys ready, and hit the road. Alicia drove most of the trip but the two times I did drive, it poured down rain. I am not talking a little bit of rain, I mean rain that did not allow me to see out the windshield. Not only was I driving an unfamiliar car on an unfamiliar highway but I was also carrying precious cargo in the car. I was beyond nervous and was driving like a grandma. Thank goodness we survived.

These pictures of the boys sleeping cracked Alicia and I up. We were amazed they could fall asleep in such odd positions!







We stopped a lot along the way to use the restroom (some considerably worse than others), get coffee, eat dinner (loved our Cracker Barrel!), and have lunch. The boys were so well behaved and even enjoyed running around after our picnic to release a little energy.
After getting stuck in traffic for an hour and moving less than a mile, we were more than ready to be get home. When we arrived, everyone was excited to see us. Uncle Mark was a hit with his new truck. Mark G. wanted to push all the buttons and loved honking the horn.I am so thankful Alicia asked me to drive with her and the boys. Not only did this trip allow me to get to know my two sweet nephews a lot better, but it also let me have some good quality time with my wonderful sister-in-law. I am truly lucky to have married in to such a kind and loving family!

No comments:

Post a Comment