I know I am lucky to work at the school I do - I have wonderful friends, the kids are adorable, and the school appreciates a job well done. I was reminded of how awesome my school is last week.
Our security guard, Robert, was out for going on 2 weeks when I finally asked what was wrong. I found out his wife was quite ill with pneumonia and had been in and out of the hospital. Robert is not a rich man. He works on an hourly salary, doesn't own a car, and walks to work each day but you would never know these things for he has to be the nicest, most friendly, caring individual. He is loved by the entire school and everyone appreciates what he does each day for us.
I pass Robert every trip I make to the restroom each day and on Wednesday an idea struck me - why don't we start a little donation pot for Robert since when he isn't working, he doesn't get paid. One e-mail and 3 days later I had $3516 in my office. It was AMAZING!!! The students got wind of the fund and wrote sweet cards and donated money from their homecoming fund and the snack bar. I watched teachers write $200 checks like it was no big deal. The words "anything for Robert" were said a lot. Although I was just the money collector, it made me feel just as amazing to be surrounded by such giving and love as it must have felt for Robert to receive this unexpected gift.
Friday afternoon couldn't come soon enough. I couldn't sleep the night before I was so excited! I delivered Robert and his ill wife an envelope filled with the cash along with a meal and about a hundred cards from students. It was probably the best part of my career at this school and a moment I won't soon forget. When Robert heard what the school had done for him in 3 days he just started crying.
Robert is worth it and so is every other individual, teacher or student, who comes to this school everyday. I am lucky to work in such an awesome environment each and every day.
13 years ago

You just made me cry! Thanks for posting that!
ReplyDeleteMeghan, we all love you and this is one of the reasons! Thanks!
ReplyDelete