I have tried to write this blog entry multiple times but it has never ended in what I was truly wanting to say so hope this time around, I can get my true feelings to make sense!
I am so thankful for all my friends. I am not, nor have never been, a person with hundreds of friends. I had one best friend in elementary school, the same group of four best friends from 5th grade until now, and two best friends from college. Of course, I have made additional friends throughout life and even though life changes, these few people remain close.
Since the majority of my life long friends don't live in Texas anymore, we stay in touch using e-mail, blogging, Facebook, and phone calls. Just last night I spent an hour talking to a dear friend I made at work who has now moved away to Houston (miss you, Katie!). These phone calls mean the world to me.
As life continues on, people get married, have babies, or move, my friendships change but still remain strong. For example, one of my best friends from college, Jodi, just had her second baby. I know it will be harder for her to talk to me every morning like we have in the past since she will be responsible for two little ones now, but the time we do get to talk will mean so much to me! I don't know what I would do without Jodi and her Mr. Reality hubby!
It is funny to think how my friendships have developed. I have met great women through work who share my day-to-day trials and tribulations (too many to list in the Shelton crew), I have made friends through couponing (Ali, so happy to know we are both proud of our savings!) and knitting (Megan), I have made friends who were looking for a way to bond with other women (my girl's group!), and found a best friend in my neighbor down the street (oh, Becky, what would I do without you!!!). I am also quite lucky that my very social husband has wonderful friends with wonderful wives (Abby and Dana). These too have proved to be some great, developing friendships.
I guess what I am trying to say is, I am BEYOND thankful for all of the different kinds of friendships I have. I only hope that I am as great a friend as each of my friends have been to me! The reason I am writing this post now is hunting season has begun and I become what the hunting world calls, a Hunting Widow. This is the time of year is when I depend on my friends most. I miss Mark a lot when he is gone (knowing all the while he is having a total blast!) so I have to fun things to do with my friends while he is away. Thank goodness I have great ones both near and far!
13 years ago

Awwww so sweet! :)
ReplyDeleteI wish we lived closer!
~Ali
Such a sweet post. Miss you too!!
ReplyDelete