We started the morning by meeting at a park where I got my tag for my back. I also got to sign the big column and do some stretching before the walk started.
I also had to experience the world of porta potties which are disgusting. This was the least fun part of the walk considering I visited 3 more porta potties along my walk - gross!
I walked past many breast cancer survivors who thanked me for what I was doing. It was such great motivation to keep walking. While I was hobbling along with Mark by my side, one lady came outside of her home and personally thanked us. She said that only 10 people can be treated with $2 million. That isn't that many people at all. That statistic is staggering and a great reason to continue to donate to breast cancer research.
Although I planned to walk the 39 mile route over the course of 2 days, I only completed 22.8 miles on the first day and did not walk on the second day. Mark and I made the executive decision that VERY sore hips and 13 large blisters were reason enough to stop walking. I walked for 7 hours on Saturday and denied help from many people who asked if I needed it (due to the hobbling I was doing!).
This was a great experience for many reasons. First, I loved walking in honor of Mamaw. When times got tough, I thought of her and thought my pain was probably nothing compared to what she has been through. Second, it was great to be a part of a large cause working to benefit so many people past, present, and future. Third, it was wonderful knowing I had so much love and support at home from friends and family. The text messages and well wishes were so kind! And fourth, this walk reminded me of the constant love and support I have from Mark. I literally could not have completed the walk without him. He probably walked a good 8 miles with me while holding my hand the entire way. He ran to get me cold water and met me at different locations to drop it off to me, he went to a local athletic store and bought me another shirt and pair of socks when mine were drenched from the rain (yes, it even rained while I was walking), and he told me so many times just how proud he was of me as I pushed through the last few miles. My husband is one in a million and I don't take that for granted.
I also learned a few things....I am tougher than I thought I was (I really lost hope about mile 17, just ask poor Mark), I can't just get up and walk 39 miles without training, women are really funny and all love talking about the same topics (food, how to stay skinny, how they met their husband, and dating - I eavesdropped a lot while walking), and I can do just about anything with support, especially Mark's support!

No comments:
Post a Comment